Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
As used in this chapter and sections 32-650 to 32-668, inclusive, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
(1) “Authority” means the Capital Region Development Authority created pursuant to section 32-601.
(2) “Capital city project” means any or all of the following: (A) A convention center project as defined in subdivision (3) of this section; (B) a downtown higher education center; (C) the civic center and coliseum complex; (D) the development of the infrastructure and improvements to the riverfront; (E) (i) the creation of up to three thousand downtown housing units through rehabilitation and new construction, and (ii) the demolition or redevelopment of vacant buildings; (F) the addition to downtown parking capacity; (G) development and redevelopment; and (H) the promotion of and attraction to in-state professional and amateur sports and sporting events in consultation with the Sports Advisory Board established under section 10-425. All capital city projects shall be located or constructed and operated in the capital city economic development district, as defined in subdivision (7) of this section, provided any project undertaken pursuant to subparagraph (G) of this subdivision may be located anywhere in the town and city of Hartford, any project undertaken pursuant to subparagraph (D) or (E) (ii) of this subdivision may be located anywhere in the town and city of Hartford or town of East Hartford, and any project undertaken pursuant to subparagraph (H) of this subdivision may be located anywhere in the state.
(3) “Convention center” means a convention facility constructed and operated in the capital city economic development district, including parking for such facility, in conjunction with a privately developed hotel, including ancillary facilities and infrastructure improvements as more particularly described in the master development plan.
(4) “Convention center facilities” means (A) the convention center and the related parking facilities, as defined in section 32-651, to the extent such related parking facilities are developed, owned or operated by the authority, (B) the on-site related private development, as defined in section 32-651, to the extent any such on-site related private development is developed, owned or operated by the authority pursuant to a determination by the Secretary of the Office of Policy and Management and the authority that such development, ownership or operation by the authority is necessary and in the public interest, and (C) a central heating and cooling plant serving the convention center, the related parking facilities, the related private development and, to the extent of any surplus capacity, other users. “Convention center facilities” does not include the convention center hotel.
(5) “Convention center hotel” means the privately developed hotel required to be constructed and operated in conjunction with the convention center, as more particularly described in the master development plan, as defined in section 32-651, including the second phase of the convention center hotel as therein described.
(6) “Convention center project” means the development, design, construction, finishing, furnishing and equipping of the convention center facilities and related site acquisition and site preparation.
(7) “Capital city economic development district” means the area bounded and described as follows: The northerly side of Masseek Street from the intersection of Van Dyke Avenue proceeding westerly to the intersection of Van Block Avenue, proceeding northerly along Van Block to the intersection of Nepaquash Street, proceeding easterly to the intersection of Huyshope Avenue, proceeding northerly along Huyshope Avenue to the intersection of Charter Oak Avenue, proceeding westerly along Charter Oak Avenue to Wyllys Street, proceeding along Wyllys Street to Popieluszko Court, north on Popieluszko Court to Charter Oak Avenue proceeding westerly to Main Street, proceeding south along Main Street to Park Street, thence west along Park Street to the intersection of Laurel Street, proceeding north on Laurel Street to the intersection of Capitol Avenue, proceeding west on Capitol Avenue to the intersection of Forest Street, proceeding north on Forest Street to the intersection of Farmington Avenue, proceeding east on Farmington Avenue to the intersection of Asylum Avenue, proceeding east on Asylum Avenue, thence northwesterly along the Exit 48 on ramp to Interstate 84 northward to the railroad, now proceeding northeasterly along the railroad to its intersection with the southerly railroad spur, thence proceeding southeasterly along the railroad R.O.W. to the Bulkeley Bridge. Thence easterly to the city line. Proceeding south along city boundary to the point perpendicular with Masseek Street. Thence westerly to the point of beginning.
(8) “Capital region” means the towns contiguous to the city of Hartford, including the town of East Hartford.
(9) “Private development district” means any land on the Adriaen's Landing site that is designated jointly by the Secretary of the Office of Policy and Management and the authority as available for the purpose of on-site related private development and in need of inducement for private development and operation. Only land on which construction of a building or improvement is to commence on or after July 1, 2008, shall be so designated. Any land so designated shall remain part of the private development district during the term, including any extensions, of any agreement providing for payments to the authority in lieu of real property taxes entered into pursuant to subsection (e) of section 32-602, and thereafter, until the Secretary of the Office of Policy and Management and the authority certify that such designation is no longer a needed inducement to private development and operation. As used in this subdivision, “land” includes an easement to use air space, whether or not contiguous to the surface of the ground.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Connecticut General Statutes Title 32. Commerce and Economic and Community Development § 32-600. Definitions - last updated June 28, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ct/title-32-commerce-and-economic-and-community-development/ct-gen-st-sect-32-600/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?