Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1) As used in this section, unless the context otherwise requires:
(a) “Department” means the department of education created and existing pursuant to section 24-1-115, C.R.S.
(b) Repealed by Laws 2020, Ch. 197 (H.B. 20-1418), § 21, eff. June 30, 2020.
(c) “Local education provider” means a school district, a charter school authorized by a school district pursuant to part 1 of article 30.5 of this title, a charter school authorized by the state charter school institute pursuant to part 5 of article 30.5 of this title, or a board of cooperative services created and operating pursuant to article 5 of this title that operates one or more public schools.
(d) “Psychomotor skills development” means the use of hands-on practice that supports cognitive learning.
(e) “State board” means the state board of education created and existing pursuant to section 1 of article IX of the state constitution.
(2) On and after September 1, 2014, each local education provider may apply for a grant or grants to provide instruction to students in any of grades nine through twelve and school staff in any of grades nine through twelve in cardiopulmonary resuscitation and the use of an automated external defibrillator. The instruction funded pursuant to this section must include a nationally recognized, psychomotor-skills-based instructional program that reflects current, national, evidence-based, emergency cardiovascular care guidelines for cardiopulmonary resuscitation and the use of an automated external defibrillator. The department shall administer the grant program pursuant to state board rules adopted pursuant to subsection (3) of this section.
(3) The state board shall promulgate rules concerning the grants awarded pursuant to this section, which rules must include, at a minimum:
(a) The process by which a local education provider may apply for and receive grant moneys pursuant to this section, including application requirements and deadlines;
(b) The number and amount of each grant and whether grants moneys will be awarded in the order applications are received or through some other method;
(c) The process for achieving a balanced distribution of grant moneys to applicants including rural, urban, and suburban local education providers; and
(d) Procedures for monitoring a local education provider's compliance with the provisions of this section and specifically that moneys awarded pursuant to this section are used for reasonable costs associated with psychomotor-skills-based cardiopulmonary resuscitation training and training on the use of automated external defibrillators, including but not limited to training materials and the temporary employment of cardiopulmonary resuscitation instructors or other trainers qualified to teach skills-based cardiopulmonary resuscitation training.
(4) Notwithstanding any other provision of this section to the contrary, the department shall not award grants pursuant to this section unless the department determines that it has received sufficient money through appropriations or gifts, grants, and donations to implement the program.
(5) The department may seek, accept, and expend gifts, grants, or donations from private or public sources for the purposes of this section; except that the department may not accept a gift, grant, or donation that is subject to conditions that are inconsistent with this section or any other law of the state. Nothing in this section requires the department to solicit money for purposes of implementing this section.
(6) Repealed by Laws 2020, Ch. 197 (H.B. 20-1418), § 21, eff. July 1, 2021.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Colorado Revised Statutes Title 22. Education § 22-1-129. Instruction in cardiopulmonary resuscitation and the use of automated external defibrillators--grants--definitions--rules - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/co/title-22-education/co-rev-st-sect-22-1-129/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.