Colorado Revised Statutes Title 12. Professions and Occupations § 12-310-102. Definitions
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Colorado Revised Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
As used in this article 310, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) “Database” means the database required by section 12-310-103.
(2) “Employer” means a health-care institution as defined in section 13-64-202, a health-care professional as defined in section 13-64-202, or an entity who either employs a registrant or who provides a registrant to a health-care institution or health-care professional on a contractual basis.
(3) “Register” has the meaning established in section 12-20-102(11); except that to be registered does not mean that the registrant:
(a) Has any particular qualifications or professional competency; or
(b) Must be certified as a surgical assistant or surgical technologist.
(4) “Surgical assistant” means a person who performs certain duties, including:
(a) Positioning the patient;
(b) Providing visualization of the operative site;
(c) Utilizing appropriate techniques to assist with hemostasis;
(d) Participating in volume replacement or autotransfusion techniques as appropriate;
(e) Utilizing appropriate techniques to assist with closure of body planes;
(f) Selecting and applying appropriate wound dressings;
(g) Providing assistance in securing drainage systems to tissue; and
(h) The duties specified in subsection (5) of this section.
(5) “Surgical technologist” means a person who performs certain duties, including:
(a) Preparation of the operating or procedure room and the sterile field for surgical procedures by sterilizing supplies, instruments, and equipment;
(b) Preparation of the operating or procedure room for surgical procedures by ensuring that surgical equipment is functioning properly and safely; and
(c) Passing instruments, equipment, or supplies to a surgeon; sponging or suctioning an operative site; preparing and cutting suture material; holding retractors; transferring but not administering fluids or drugs; assisting in counting sponges, needles, supplies, and instruments; and performing other similar duties as directed during a surgical procedure.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Colorado Revised Statutes Title 12. Professions and Occupations § 12-310-102. Definitions - last updated January 01, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/co/title-12-professions-and-occupations/co-rev-st-sect-12-310-102/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?