Skip to main content

Code of Federal Regulations Title 49. Transportation § 49.1503.611 Answer

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) Filing. A respondent must file a written answer to the complaint in accordance with § 1503.429, or may file a written motion pursuant to § 1503.629(f)(1)-(4) instead of filing an answer, not later than 30 days after service of the complaint. Subject to paragraph (c) of this section, the answer may be in the form of a letter, but must be dated and signed by the person responding to the complaint. An answer may be typewritten or may be legibly handwritten. The person filing an answer should suggest a location for the hearing when filing the answer.

(b) Contents. An answer must specifically state any affirmative defense that the respondent intends to assert at the hearing. A person filing an answer may include a brief statement of any relief requested in the answer.

(c) Specific denial of allegations required. A person filing an answer must admit, deny, or state that the person is without sufficient knowledge or information to admit or deny, each numbered paragraph of the complaint. Any statement or allegation contained in the complaint that is not specifically denied in the answer may be deemed an admission of the truth of that allegation. A general denial of the complaint is deemed a failure to file an answer.

(d) Failure to file answer. A person's failure to file an answer without good cause, as determined by the ALJ, will be deemed an admission of the truth of each allegation contained in the complaint.

Cite this article: - Code of Federal Regulations Title 49. Transportation § 49.1503.611 Answer - last updated October 03, 2022 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard