Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) A cargo tank of the tank vessel connected to a vapor collection system must be equipped with a permanent or portable cargo gauging device that—
(1) Is a closed type as defined in 46 CFR 151.15.10(c) that does not require opening the tank to the atmosphere during cargo transfer;
(2) Allows the operator to determine the level of liquid in the tank for the full range of liquid levels in the tank;
(3) Has an indicator for the level of liquid in the tank that is located where cargo transfer is controlled; and
(4) If portable, is installed on the tank during the entire transfer operation.
(b) Each cargo tank of a tank barge must have a high-level indicating device, unless the barge complies with 46 CFR 39.2009(a). The high-level indicating device must—
(1) Indicate visually the level of liquid in the cargo tank when the liquid level is within a range of 1 meter (3.28 feet) of the top of the tank;
(2) Show a permanent mark to indicate the maximum liquid level permitted under 46 CFR 39.3001(e) at even keel conditions; and
(3) Be visible from all cargo control areas.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Code of Federal Regulations Title 46. Shipping § 46.39.2003 Cargo gauging system—TB/ALL - last updated October 03, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/cfr/title-46-shipping/cfr-sect-46-39-2003/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.