Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) For the purpose of this section—
(1) The main transverse watertight bulkhead immediately forward of a stepped bulkhead is referred to as bulkhead 1; and
(2) The main transverse watertight bulkhead immediately aft of the stepped bulkhead is referred to as bulkhead 3.
(b) If a main transverse watertight bulkhead is stepped, it and bulkheads 1 and 3 must meet one of the following conditions:
(1) The separation between bulkheads 1 and 3 must not exceed the following:
(i) If the factor of subdivision (FS) determined from § 171.065(a) or (b) is greater than 0.9, the distance between bulkheads 1 and 3 must not exceed the maximum separation calculated to demonstrate compliance with § 171.065.
(ii) If the factor of subdivision is 0.9 or less, the distance between bulkheads 1 and 3 must not exceed 90% of the floodable length or twice the maximum bulkhead separation calculated to demonstrate compliance with § 171.065, whichever is smaller.
(2) Additional watertight bulkheads must be located as shown in Figure 171.067(a) so that distances A, B, C, and D, illustrated in Figure 171.067(a), satisfy the following:
(i) Distances A and B must not exceed the maximum spacing allowed by § 171.065.
(ii) Distances C and D must not be less than the minimum separation prescribed by § 171.065(e).
(3) The distance A, illustrated in Figure 171.067(b), must not exceed the maximum length determined in § 171.065 corresponding to a margin line taken 3 inches (7.6 cm) below the step.
(c) A main transverse bulkhead may not be recessed unless all parts of the recess are inboard from the shell of the vessel a distance A as illustrated in Figure 171.067(c).
(d) Any part of a recess that lies outside the limits defined in paragraph (c) of this section must be treated as a step in accordance with paragraph (b) of this section.
(e) The distance between a main transverse watertight bulkhead and the transverse plane passing through the nearest portion of a recessed bulkhead must be greater than the minimum separation specified by § 171.065(e).
(f) If a main transverse bulkhead is stepped or recessed, equivalent plane bulkheads must be used in the calculations required to demonstrate compliance with § 171.065.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Code of Federal Regulations Title 46. Shipping § 46.171.067 Treatment of stepped and recessed bulkheads in Type I subdivision - last updated October 03, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/cfr/title-46-shipping/cfr-sect-46-171-067/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.