Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) The person in charge of cargo transfer shall make sure that:
(1) No alkylene oxide is loaded into a containment system that last carried a cargo other than an alkylene oxide unless the containment system has been cleaned and inspected to make sure it is in good condition with no heavy rust accumulations or traces of previous cargoes;
(2) No alkylene oxide is loaded into a containment system that within the previous three loadings carried a cargo listed in paragraph (b) of this section unless the containment system has been cleaned to the satisfaction of a Coast Guard Marine Inspector or a person specifically authorized by the Commandant (CG–ENG) to approve alkylene oxide tank cleaning;
(3) No cargo but an alkylene oxide is loaded into a containment system which last carried an alkylene oxide unless the containment system has been cleaned of alkylene oxide to the satisfaction of a Coast Guard Marine Inspector or person specifically authorized by the Commandant (CG–ENG) to approve alkylene oxide tank cleaning; and
(4) No hose marked “For Alkylene Oxide Transfer Only” is used for the transfer of a cargo other than an alkylene oxide.
(b) The following cargoes are particularly reactive with alkylene oxides:
(1) Non-oxidizing mineral acids (e.g. hydrochloric, phosphoric);
(2) Sulfuric acid;
(3) Nitric acid;
(4) Organic acids (e.g. acetic, formic);
(5) Halogenated organic acids (e.g. chloroacetic);
(6) Sulfonic acids (e.g. alkyl benzene sulfonic);
(7) Caustic alkalies (e.g. caustic soda, caustic potash; sodium hydrosulfide);
(8) Ammonia and ammonia solutions;
(9) Aliphatic amines;
(10) Alkanolamines; and
(11) Oxidizing substances.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Code of Federal Regulations Title 46. Shipping § 46.153.1011 Changing containment systems and hoses to and from alkylene oxide service - last updated October 03, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/cfr/title-46-shipping/cfr-sect-46-153-1011/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.