Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) After making a determination under paragraph (b) of this section, an authorized official may:
(1) Establish special use areas within Reclamation facilities, lands, or waterbodies for application of reasonable schedules of visiting hours; public use limits; and other conditions, restrictions, allowances, or prohibitions on particular uses or activities that vary from the provisions of Subpart C of this part 423, except § 423.28; and
(2) From time to time revise the boundaries of a previously designated special use area and revise or terminate previously imposed schedules of visiting hours; public use limits; and other conditions, restrictions, allowances, or prohibitions on a use or activity.
(b) Before taking action under paragraph (a) of this section, an authorized official must make a determination that action is necessary for:
(1) The protection of public health and safety;
(2) The protection and preservation of cultural and natural resources;
(3) The protection of environmental and scenic values, scientific research, the security of Reclamation facilities, the avoidance of conflict among visitor use activities; or
(4) Other reasons in the public interest.
(c) An authorized official establishing a special use area must document in writing the determination described in paragraph (b) of this section. Such documentation must occur before the action, except in emergencies or situations of immediate need as described in § 423.61(c), in which case the documentation is required within 30 days after the date of the action. Reclamation will make documents produced under this section available to the public upon request except where such disclosure could compromise national or facility security, or human safety.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Code of Federal Regulations Title 43. Public Lands: Interior § 43.423.60 How special use areas are designated - last updated October 03, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/cfr/title-43-public-lands-interior/cfr-sect-43-423-60/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?