Code of Federal Regulations Title 40. Protection of Environment § 40.267.173 What standards apply to the container storage areas?
Search Code of Federal Regulations
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) You must design and operate a containment system for your container storage areas according to the requirements in paragraph (b) of this section, except as otherwise provided by paragraph (c) of this section.
(b) The design and operating requirements for a containment system are:
(1) A base must underlie the containers that is free of cracks or gaps and is sufficiently impervious to contain leaks, spills, and accumulated precipitation until the collected material is detected and removed.
(2) The base must be sloped or the containment system, must be otherwise designed and operated to drain and remove liquids resulting from leaks, spills, or precipitation, unless the containers are elevated or are otherwise protected from contact with accumulated liquids.
(3) The containment system must have sufficient capacity to contain 10% of the volume of containers, or the volume of the largest container, whichever is greater. This requirement does not apply to containers that do not contain free liquids.
(4) You must prevent run-on into the containment system unless the collection system has sufficient excess capacity, in addition to that required in paragraph (b)(3) of this section, to contain the liquid.
(5) You must remove any spilled or leaked waste and accumulated precipitation from the sump or collection area as promptly as is necessary to prevent overflow of the collection system.
(c) Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this section, you do not need a containment system as defined in paragraph (b) of this section for storage areas that store containers holding only wastes with no free liquids, if:
(1) The storage area is sloped or is otherwise designed and operated to drain and remove liquid resulting from precipitation; or
(2) The containers are elevated or are otherwise protected from contact with accumulated liquid.
(d) You must have a containment system defined by paragraph (b) of this section for storage areas that store containers holding FO20, FO21, FO22, FO23, FO26, and FO27 wastes, even if the wastes do not contain free liquids.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Code of Federal Regulations Title 40. Protection of Environment § 40.267.173 What standards apply to the container storage areas? - last updated October 02, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/cfr/title-40-protection-of-environment/cfr-sect-40-267-173/
Was this helpful?