Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
For the purposes of this part:
Accompanying individual means an individual seeking Fisher House or other temporary lodging, who provides familial support or the equivalent of familial support, to a veteran while the veteran is experiencing an episode of care. This term is defined broadly to include relatives, close friends, and caregivers.
Compensation and pension examination means an examination requested by VA's Veterans Benefits Administration to be conducted at a VA health care facility for the purpose of evaluating a veteran's claim.
Episode of care means a course of outpatient treatment, or a period of hospitalization, during which a veteran receives health care under 38 U.S.C. chapter 17, or 38 U.S.C. 8111 or 8153. Examples of episodes of care include (but are not limited to) the following:
(1) An appointment at a VA health care facility to receive health care or a compensation and pension examination.
(2) Extended outpatient treatment, such as treatment associated with organ transplant, chemotherapy, or radiation.
(3) Hospitalization for a critical injury or illness; where death is imminent; or where a veteran is unable to make medical decisions for him/herself and the accompanying individual is authorized to make such decisions on the veteran's behalf.
Fisher House means a housing facility that is located at or near a VA health care facility and was constructed by and donated to VA by the Fisher House Foundation (formerly the Zachary and Elizabeth M. Fisher Armed Services Foundation), or a facility that is treated as if it were Fisher House lodging under § 60.3.
Other temporary lodging includes:
(1) Lodging at a temporary lodging facility, other than a Fisher House, located at a VA health care facility (generally referred to as a “hoptel”);
(2) A hotel or motel;
(3) Non-utilized beds at a VA health care facility designated as lodging beds; and
(4) Other donated lodging to be used on a temporary basis in accordance with 38 U.S.C. 1708.
VA means the Department of Veterans Affairs. 11
At 79 FR 2100, Jan. 13, 2014, § 60.2 was amended by removing "VA's Compensation and Pension Service" and adding, in its place, "the Compensation Service or the Pension and Fiduciary Service"; however, the amendment could not be incorporated due to inaccurate amendatory instruction.
(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 501, 1708)
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Code of Federal Regulations Title 38. Pensions, Bonuses, and Veterans' Relief § 38.60.2 Definitions - last updated October 03, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/cfr/title-38-pensions-bonuses-and-veterans-relief/cfr-sect-38-60-2/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.