Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) Functions and responsibilities of the Regional Counsels are those set forth in this part and all other matters assigned by the General Counsel.
(b) In any matter within the jurisdiction of the General Counsel, delegated or otherwise assigned, the Regional Counsel and designated staff attorneys are authorized to conduct investigations, examine witnesses, take affidavits, administer oaths and affirmations and certify copies of public or private documents.
(c) The Regional Counsel is authorized to, and shall, under the guidance of the General Counsel, provide legal services, advice and assistance to Department of Veterans Affairs installations within the district assigned. In any area of regulatory, assigned or delegated responsibility, the Regional Counsel may delegate to staff members or other Department of Veterans Affairs attorneys authority to perform, to the extent specified, any legal function under the professional direction of the Regional Counsel. Conversely, the Regional Counsel may modify, suspend, or rescind any authority delegated hereunder.
(d) The Regional Counsel is authorized to cooperate with affiliated organizations, legislative committees, and with local and State bar associations to the end that any State law deficiencies relating to Department of Veterans Affairs operations may be removed. No commitment as to proposed legislation will be made without the approval of the General Counsel.
(e) In any case wherein the Regional Counsel is authorized to take legal action and payment of costs and necessary expenses incident thereto are involved, the administration requesting such action will pay such cost and expenses. Where it is impractical for the Regional Counsel to perform the legal service because of cost, distance, etc., the customary fee for the service rendered by a local attorney employed by the Regional Counsel will be borne by the administration requesting such action.
(f) The jurisdictions and addresses of Regional Counsels are as follows:
(1) Region 1: (JURISDICTION) Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island; (ADDRESS) VAMC, 200 Springs Road, Bldg. 61, Bedford, MA 01730.
(2) Region 2: (JURISDICTION) New Jersey, Metropolitan New York City; (ADDRESS) 800 Poly Place, Building 14, Brooklyn, NY 11209.
(3) Region 3: (JURISDICTION) District of Columbia; Fairfax, Virginia; Arlington, Virginia; Alexandria, Virginia; Martinsburg, West Virginia; and Maryland; (ADDRESS) 3900 Loch Raven Blvd., Bldg. 4, Baltimore, MD 21218.
(4) Region 4: (JURISDICTION) Pennsylvania, Delaware; (ADDRESS) University & Woodland Avenues, Philadelphia, PA 19104.
(5) Region 5: (JURISDICTION) Georgia, South Carolina; (ADDRESS) 1700 Clairmont Rd., Decatur, GA 30033–4032.
(6) Region 6: (JURISDICTION) Florida, Puerto Rico; (ADDRESS) P.O. Box 5005, Building 22, Room 333, Bay Pines, FL 33744.
(7) Region 7: (JURISDICTION) Ohio, West Virginia (excluding Martinsburg, West Virginia); (ADDRESS) 10000 Brecksville Rd., Bldg. 1, 5th Floor, Brecksville, OH 44141.
(8) Region 8: (JURISDICTION) Arkansas, Tennessee; (ADDRESS) 110 9th Ave., South Room A–201A, Nashville, TN 37203.
(9) Region 9: (JURISDICTION) Alabama, Mississippi; (ADDRESS) 1500 E. Woodrow Wilson Dr., Jackson, MS 39216.
(10) Region 10: (JURISDICTION) Illinois, Iowa; (ADDRESS) VA Medical Center, Bldg. 1, G Section 1st Floor, P. O. Box 1427, Hines, IL 60141.
(11) Region 11: (JURISDICTION) Michigan, Wisconsin; (ADDRESS) Patrick V. McNamara Federal Bldg., Suite 1460, 477 Michigan Ave., Detroit, MI 48226.
(12) Region 12: (JURISDICTION) Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska; (ADDRESS) 1 Jefferson Barracks Drive, St. Louis, MO 63125–4185.
(13) Region 13: (JURISDICTION) Oklahoma, Northern Texas; (ADDRESS) 4800 Memorial Drive, Bldg. 12, Waco, TX 76711.
(14) Region 14: (JURISDICTION) Louisiana, Southern Texas; (ADDRESS) 6900 Almeda Road, Houston, TX 77030.
(15) Region 15: (JURISDICTION) Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota; (ADDRESS) VA Medical Center, One Veterans Drive, Bldg. 73, Minneapolis, MN 55417.
(16) Region 16: (JURISDICTION) Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Montana; (ADDRESS) Box 25126, 155 Van Gordon Street, Denver, CO 80225.
(17) Region 18: (JURISDICTION) California, Hawaii, and Philippine Islands; (ADDRESS) VA Medical Center, 4150 Clement Street, Bldg. 210, San Francisco, CA 94121.
(18) Region 19: (JURISDICTION) Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico; (ADDRESS) 650 E. Indian School Rd., Bldg. 24, Phoenix AZ 85012.
(19) Region 20: (JURISDICTION) Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Alaska; (ADDRESS) 1220 S.W. Third Ave., Suite 1224, Portland, OR 97204.
(20) Region 21: (JURISDICTION) New York (except Metropolitan New York City), Vermont; (ADDRESS) 120 LeBrun, Buffalo, NY 14215.
(21) Region 22: (JURISDICTION) Indiana, Kentucky; (ADDRESS) 575 N. Pennsylvania Street, Room 309, Indianapolis, IN 46204.
(22) Region 23: (JURISDICTION) North Carolina, Virginia (excluding Fairfax, Arlington, and Alexandria); (ADDRESS) Hiram H. Ward Federal Bldg., 251 N. Main Street, Winston–Salem, NC 27155.
Sec. 84.6. “Nonrelocating individual”, for purposes of IC 31-14-13 and IC 31-17-2.2, means an individual who has, or has filed an action seeking:
(1) custody of the child, whether by court order or by paternity affidavit under IC 16-37-2;
(2) parenting time with the child, whether by court order or by paternity affidavit under IC 16-37-2; or
(3) visitation with the child under IC 31-17-5.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Code of Federal Regulations Title 38. Pensions, Bonuses, and Veterans' Relief § 38.14.501 Functions and responsibilities of Regional Counsels - last updated October 03, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/cfr/title-38-pensions-bonuses-and-veterans-relief/cfr-sect-38-14-501/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.