(a) The master of each vessel equipped with ballast tanks must provide the following
information, in written form, to the Captain of the Port (COTP):
(1) The vessel's name, port of registry, and official number or call sign.
(2) The name of the vessel's owner(s).
(3) Whether ballast water is being carried.
(4) The original location and salinity, if known, of ballast water taken on, before an
(5) The location, date, and time of any ballast water exchange.
(6) The salinity of any ballast water to be discharged into the territorial waters of
the United States.
(7) The intended discharge port for ballast water and location for disposal of sediment
carried upon entry into the territorial waters of the United States, if ballast water
or sediment are to be discharged.
(8) The signature of the master attesting to the accuracy of the information provided
and certifying compliance with the requirements of this subpart.
(b) The COTP may take samples of ballast water to assess the compliance with, and the
effectiveness of, this subpart.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes
A free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.