Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) A WSR lease must specify whether the lessee will make payments directly to the Indian landowners (direct pay) or to us on their behalf.
(b) The lessee may make payments directly to the Indian landowners if:
(1) The Indian landowners' trust accounts are unencumbered;
(2) There are 10 or fewer beneficial owners; and
(3) One hundred percent of the beneficial owners (including those on whose behalf we have consented) agree to receive payment directly from the lessee at the start of the lease.
(c) If the lease provides that the lessee will directly pay the Indian landowners, then:
(1) The lease must include provisions for proof of payment upon our request.
(2) When we consent on behalf of an Indian landowner, the lessee must make payment to us on behalf of that landowner.
(3) The lessee must send direct payments to the parties and addresses specified in the lease, unless the lessee receives notice of a change of ownership or address.
(4) Unless the lease provides otherwise, payments may not be made payable directly to anyone other than the Indian landowners.
(5) Direct payments must continue through the duration of the lease, except that:
(i) The lessee must make all Indian landowners' payments to us if 100 percent of the Indian landowners agree to suspend direct pay and provide us with documentation of their agreement; and
(ii) The lessee must make that individual Indian landowner's payment to us if any individual Indian landowner who dies, is declared non compos mentis, owes a debt resulting in a trust account encumbrance, or his or her whereabouts become unknown.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Code of Federal Regulations Title 25. Indians § 25.162.553 Must a WSR lease specify who receives monetary compensation payments? - last updated October 03, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/cfr/title-25-indians/cfr-sect-25-162-553/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.