Skip to main content

Code of Federal Regulations Title 21. Food and Drugs § 21.172.185 TBHQ

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

The food additive TBHQ, which is the chemical 2–(1,1–dimethylethyl)–1,4–benzenediol (Chemical Abstracts Service Registry Number 1948–33–0), also known as tertiary butylhydroquinone, may be safely used in food in accordance with the following prescribed conditions:

(a) The food additive has a melting point of not less than 126.5 °C.

(b) The percentage of TBHQ in the food additive is not less than 99.0 percent when tested by the assay described in the Food Chemicals Codex, 9th ed. (2014), pp. 1192–1194, which is incorporated by reference, or an equivalent method. The Director of the Office of the Federal Register approves this incorporation by reference in accordance with 5 U.S.C. 552(a) and 1 CFR part 51. You may obtain copies from the United States Pharmacopeial Convention, 12601 Twinbrook Pkwy., Rockville, MD 20852 (Internet address: Copies may be examined at the Food and Drug Administration's Main Library, 10903 New Hampshire Ave., Bldg. 2, Third Floor, Silver Spring, MD 20993, 301–796–2039, or at the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). For information on the availability of this material at NARA, call 202–741–6030 or go to:

(c) It is used as an antioxidant alone or in combination with BHA and/or BHT.

(d) The total antioxidant content of a food containing the additive will not exceed 0.02 percent of the oil or fat content of the food, including the essential (volatile) oil content of the food.

Cite this article: - Code of Federal Regulations Title 21. Food and Drugs § 21.172.185 TBHQ - last updated October 02, 2022 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard