Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
For purposes of deciding whether natural gas may be considered as waste as the primary energy source pursuant to § 292.204(b)(1)(i) of this chapter, the Commission will use the criteria described in paragraphs (a), (b) and (c) of this section.
(a) Category 1. Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, natural gas with a heating value of 300 Btu per standard cubic foot (scf) or below will be considered unmarketable.
(b) Category 2. In determining whether natural gas with a heating value above 300 Btu but not more than 800 Btu per scf and natural gas produced in the Moxa Arch area is unmarketable, the Commission will consider the following information:
(1) The percentages of the chemical components of the gas, the wellhead pressure, and the flow rate;
(2) Whether the applicant offered the gas to all potential buyers located within 20 miles of the wellhead under terms and conditions commensurate with those prevailing in the region and that such potential buyers refused to buy the gas; and
(3) A study, which may be submitted by an applicant, that evaluates the economics of upgrading the gas for sale and transporting the gas to a pipeline. The study should include estimates of the revenues which could be derived from the sale of the gas and the fixed and variable costs of upgrading.
(c) Category 3. In determining whether natural gas with a heating value above 800 Btu per scf is marketable, the Commission will consider the information included in paragraph (b) of this section and whether:
(1) The gas has actually been flared, vented to the atmosphere, or continuously injected into a non-producing zone for a period of one year, pursuant to legal authority; or
(2) The gas has been certified as waste, i.e., suitable for disposal, by an appropriate state authority.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Code of Federal Regulations Title 18. Conservation of Power and Water Resources § 18.2.400 Statement of interpretation of waste concerning natural gas as the primary energy source for qualifying small power production facilities - last updated October 03, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/cfr/title-18-conservation-of-power-and-water-resources/cfr-sect-18-2-400/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.