Skip to main content

California Code, Welfare and Institutions Code - WIC § 7300

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) It shall be the policy of the department to make available to all persons admitted to a state hospital prior to July 1, 1969, and to all persons judicially committed or remanded to its jurisdiction all of the facilities under the control of the department. Whenever, in the opinion of the Director of State Hospitals, it appears that a person admitted prior to July 1, 1969, or that a person judicially committed or remanded to the State Department of State Hospitals for placement in an institution would be benefited by a transfer from that institution to another institution under the department's jurisdiction, the director may cause the transfer of the patient. Preference shall be given in any such transfer to an institution in an adjoining rather than a remote district.

(b) However, before an inmate of a correctional school may be transferred to a state hospital, he or she shall first be returned to a court of competent jurisdiction, and, if subject to commitment, after hearing, may be committed to a state hospital in accordance with law.

(c) The expense of the transfers is chargeable to the state, and the bills for the same, when approved by the Director of State Hospitals, shall be paid by the Treasurer on the warrant of the Controller, out of moneys provided for the care or support of the patients or out of the moneys provided for the support of the department, in the discretion of the department.

Cite this article: - California Code, Welfare and Institutions Code - WIC § 7300 - last updated January 01, 2019 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard