California Code, Welfare and Institutions Code - WIC § 14300
Search California Codes
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) There is created the Prichard Communication Authority.
(b)(1) The authority shall be governed by a board of directors consisting of five members who shall be appointed by the mayor. Vacancies on the board shall be appointed by the mayor.
(2) The initial terms of the directors shall be staggered. Two members shall serve for a term of two years, two members shall serve for a term of three years, and one member shall serve for a term of four years. Within 30 days following July 28, 1995, the appointing authority shall submit in writing the name and address of the members of the board of directors to the judge of probate and a record of the appointments shall be filed and maintained in the office of the judge of probate. At the organizational meeting of the members of the board of directors of the authority, the members shall select the initial term for which each member shall serve. The term of each member shall be filed with the judge of probate. The term of office for all members, after the initial term, shall be four years.
(3) The members shall also elect, from among themselves, a president, vice-president, secretary, and treasurer. Each officer of the board shall serve for a period of one year, or until a successor is elected to serve. The officers of the board shall not be bonded, except the treasurer, who shall obtain a bond in a reasonable amount.
(4) The members of the board shall receive the same per diem and mileage for actual attendance of meetings of the board as allowed for state employees for up to 12 meetings in any one year.
(5) Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this subsection, a member of the board of directors may be removed from the board by a majority vote of the members of the city council.
(c) The authority shall have the following powers, together with all powers incidental or necessary to the discharge of its duties:
(1) The authority shall have the power to employ a qualified executive director who shall have the responsibility of carrying forth policies and directives of the board of directors. The executive director shall serve at the pleasure of the board. The board of directors shall set the salary of the executive director and shall provide necessary office space and clerical help.
(2) The authority shall have the power to solicit and receive contributions from other governmental entities, corporations, partnerships, or individuals. The authority shall submit to audits by the Department of Examiners of Public Accounts.
(3) To sue and be sued in its own name in civil suits and actions and to defend suits against it.
(4) To borrow funds for the authority which shall not exceed five million dollars ($5,000,000) without prior approval of the Legislature.
(5) To encumber no more than one million five hundred thousand dollars ($1,500,000) of its property without prior approval of the Legislature.
(6) To acquire property for the purpose of planning for and developing the present and future communication needs of the City of Prichard.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - California Code, Welfare and Institutions Code - WIC § 14300 - last updated January 01, 2023 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/welfare-and-institutions-code/wic-sect-14300/
Was this helpful?