Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) This section implements the state option in subdivision (j) of Section 438.8 of Title 42 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
(b) Commencing July 1, 2019, a Medi-Cal managed care plan shall comply with a minimum 85 percent medical loss ratio (MLR) consistent with Section 438.8 of Title 42 of the Code of Federal Regulations. The ratio shall be calculated and reported for each MLR reporting year by the Medi-Cal managed care plan consistent with Section 438.8 of Title 42 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
(c)(1) Effective for contract rating periods commencing on or after July 1, 2023, a Medi-Cal managed care plan shall provide a remittance for an MLR reporting year if the ratio for that MLR reporting year does not meet the minimum MLR standard of 85 percent. The department shall determine the remittance amount on a plan-specific basis for each rating region of the plan and shall calculate the federal and nonfederal share amounts associated with each remittance.
(2) After the department returns the requisite federal share amounts associated with any remittance funds collected in any applicable fiscal year to the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, the remaining amounts remitted by a Medi-Cal managed care plan pursuant to this section shall be transferred to the Medically Underserved Account for Physicians within the Health Professions Education Fund and shall, upon appropriation by the Legislature, be used for the purposes of the Steven M. Thompson Physician Corps Loan Repayment Program, as specified in Article 5 (commencing with Section 128550) of Chapter 5 of Part 3 of Division 107 of the Health and Safety Code and, notwithstanding Section 128555 of the Health and Safety Code, shall not be used to provide funding for the Physician Volunteer Program.
(d) Except as otherwise required under this section, the requirements under this section do not apply to a health care service plan under a subcontract with a Medi-Cal managed care plan to provide covered health care services to Medi-Cal beneficiaries enrolled in the Medi-Cal managed care plan.
(e) The department shall post on its Internet Web site all of the following information:
(1) The aggregate MLR of all Medi-Cal managed care plans.
(2) The MLR of each Medi-Cal managed care plan.
(3) Any required remittances owed by each Medi-Cal managed care plan.
(f) For purposes of this section, the following definitions apply:
(1) “Medical loss ratio (MLR) reporting year” shall have the same meaning as that term is defined in Section 438.8 of Title 42 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
(2)(A) “Medi-Cal managed care plan” means any individual, organization, or entity that enters into a contract with the department to provide services to enrolled Medi-Cal beneficiaries pursuant to any of the following:
(i) Article 2.7 (commencing with Section 14087.3).
(ii) Article 2.8 (commencing with Section 14087.5).
(iii) Article 2.81 (commencing with Section 14087.96).
(iv) Article 2.82 (commencing with Section 14087.98).
(v) Article 2.91 (commencing with Section 14089).
(vi) Article 1 (commencing with Section 14200) of Chapter 8.
(vii) Article 7 (commencing with Section 14490) of Chapter 8.
(B) For purposes of the remittance requirement described in subdivision (c), “Medi-Cal managed care plan” does not include dental managed care plans that contract with the department pursuant to this chapter or Chapter 8 (commencing with Section 14200).
(g) The department shall seek any federal approvals it deems necessary to implement this section. This section shall be implemented only to the extent that any necessary federal approvals are obtained and federal financial participation is available and is not otherwise jeopardized.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - California Code, Welfare and Institutions Code - WIC § 14197.2 - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/welfare-and-institutions-code/wic-sect-14197-2/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.