(a) For the purposes of this article, “protected area”, means all of lands which normally drain to the ocean, to a hydraulic sink, or to
another state within any of the following, and only the following, river systems:
(1) The Sacramento River System.
(2) The Mokelumne River System.
(3) The Calaveras River System.
(4) The San Joaquin River System.
(5) The Mono Lake System.
(6) The combined Truckee, Walker, and Carson River Systems.
(7) The combined river systems which drain to the ocean from and including the Russian
River System northward to the California-Oregon border.
(b) The confluences of the Sacramento, Mokelumne, Calaveras, and San Joaquin River
Systems are within the delta, as defined in Section 12220, and the delta shall be considered to be within each of these protected areas.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?
Response sent, thank you
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes
A free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.