Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, timber from state forests shall not be sold to any California division of a primary manufacturer, or to any person for resale to a primary manufacturer, who does either of the following:
(1) Uses that timber at any plant not located within the United States unless it is sawn on four sides to dimensions not greater than 4 inches by 12 inches.
(2) Within one year prior to the bid date and one year after the termination of the contract, sells unprocessed timber, which is harvested from private timberlands and is exported into foreign commerce from this state.
(b) Any purchaser of timber from state forests who makes use of timber in violation of paragraph (1) of subdivision (a) is prohibited from purchasing state forest timber for a period of five years and may have his or her license suspended for a period of up to one year.
(c) The department may adopt appropriate regulations to prevent the substitution of timber from state forests for timber exported from private timberlands.
(d) For purposes of this section, “unprocessed timber” means trees or portions of trees or other roundwood not processed to standards and specifications suitable for end product use, but does not include timber processed into any of the following:
(1) Lumber or construction timbers, except Western Red Cedar, meeting current American Lumber Standards Grades or Pacific Lumber Inspection Bureau Export R or N list grades, sawn on four sides, not intended for remanufacture.
(2) Lumber, construction timbers, or cants for remanufacture, except Western Red Cedar, meeting current American Lumber Standards Grades or Pacific Lumber Inspection Bureau Export R or N list clear grades, sawn on four sides, not to exceed 12 inches in thickness.
(3) Lumber, construction timbers, or cants for remanufacture, except Western Red Cedar, that do not meet the grades referred to in paragraph (2) and are sawn on four sides, with wane less than 1/4 of any face, not exceeding 8 3/4 inches in thickness.
(4) Chips, pulp, or pulp products.
(5) Veneer or plywood.
(6) Poles, posts, or piling cut or treated with preservatives for use as such.
(7) Shakes or shingles.
(8) Aspen or other pulpwood bolts, not exceeding 100 inches in length, exported for processing into pulp.
(9) Pulp logs or cull logs processed at domestic pulp mills, domestic chip plants, or other domestic operations for the purpose of conversion of the logs into chips.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - California Code, Public Resources Code - PRC § 4650.1 - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/public-resources-code/prc-sect-4650-1/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.