Skip to main content

California Code, Penal Code - PEN § 647d

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, subdivision (b) shall become operative in a county only if the board of supervisors adopts the provisions of subdivision (b) by ordinance after a finding that sufficient alcohol treatment and recovery facilities exist or will exist to accommodate the persons described in that subdivision.

(b) In any accusatory pleading charging a violation of subdivision (f) of Section 647, if the defendant has been previously convicted two or more times of a violation of subdivision (f) of Section 647 within the previous 12 months, each such previous conviction shall be charged in the accusatory pleading. If two or more of the previous convictions are found to be true by the jury, upon a jury trial, or by the court, upon a court trial, or are admitted by the defendant, the defendant shall be imprisoned in the county jail for a period of not less than 90 days. The trial court may grant probation or suspend the execution of sentence imposed upon the defendant if the court, as a condition of the probation or suspension, orders the defendant to spend 60 days in an alcohol treatment and recovery program in a facility which, as a minimum, meets the standards described in the guidelines for alcoholic recovery home programs issued by the Division of Alcohol Programs of the Department of Alcohol and Drug Abuse.

(c) The provisions of Section 4019 shall apply to the conditional attendance of an alcohol treatment and recovery program described in subdivision (b).

Cite this article: - California Code, Penal Code - PEN § 647d - last updated January 01, 2019 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard