Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) The commission shall develop and implement a course of training regarding sexual orientation and gender identity minority groups in this state. In developing the training, the commission shall consult with sexual orientation and gender identity minority members of law enforcement and the community who have expertise in the area of sexual orientation and gender identity, including at least one male, one female, and one transgender person.
(b) The course of training for officers and dispatchers described in subdivision (a) shall be incorporated into the course or courses of basic training for law enforcement officers and dispatchers and shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
(1) The difference between sexual orientation and gender identity and how these two aspects of identity relate to each other and to race, culture, and religion.
(2) The terminology used to identify and describe sexual orientation and gender identity.
(3) How to create an inclusive workplace within law enforcement for sexual orientation and gender identity minorities.
(4) Important moments in history related to sexual orientation and gender identity minorities and law enforcement.
(5) How law enforcement can respond effectively to domestic violence and hate crimes involving sexual orientation and gender identity minorities.
(c) Law enforcement officers, administrators, executives, and dispatchers may participate in supplementary training that includes all of the topics described in this section. The supplementary training shall fulfill the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training requirements for continuing professional training and shall include facilitated discussions and learning activities, including scenario training exercises. Additional training courses to update this instruction shall be established as deemed necessary by the commission.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - California Code, Penal Code - PEN § 13519.41 - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/penal-code/pen-sect-13519-41/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.