Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) Notwithstanding any other law, but no sooner than July 1, 2019, the Cost-Based Reimbursement Clinic Directed Payment Program shall be in operation.
(b) For purposes of this section, the following definitions apply:
(1) “Cost-based reimbursement clinics” or “CBRCs” have the same meaning as the providers described in subdivision (a) of Section 14105.24.
(2) “Cost-Based Reimbursement Clinic Directed Payment Program” or “CBRC DPP” or “program,” means a directed payment initiative implemented pursuant to subsection (c) of Section 438.6 of Title 42 of the Code of Federal Regulations or other applicable federal authority that requires affected Medi-Cal managed care plans to compensate CBRCs that are network providers for all network contract services provided to enrollees of the applicable Medi-Cal managed care plan as those clinics would be reimbursed according to the Medi-Cal cost-based, fee-for-service methodology as described in Section 14105.24. Services provided to enrollees who are dually eligible for both the Medicare and Medi-Cal programs are excluded for purposes of this program.
(3) “Medi-Cal managed care plan” or “plan” has the same meaning as described in paragraph (4) of subdivision (m) of Section 14197.4.
(4) “Network provider” has the same meaning as that term is defined in paragraph (5) of subdivision (m) of Section 14197.4.
(c)(1) The department shall increase the capitation amounts paid to affected plans in each fiscal year by the amount the department deems necessary for the plan to comply with the requirements of this section, subject to the availability of nonfederal share funding described in subdivision (d).
(2) The directed payment amounts paid under this section shall not supplant amounts that would otherwise be payable by a plan to a CBRC for an applicable fiscal year, and the plan shall not impose a fee or retention amount that would result in a direct or indirect reduction to the amounts required under this section.
(d) The nonfederal share of the increases described in subdivision (c) may be funded through voluntary, intergovernmental transfers from affected counties or other public entities pursuant to Section 14164. Subject to an appropriation in the annual Budget Act, the first thirty million dollars ($30,000,000) of nonfederal share in each fiscal year, or any lesser amount as determined by the department pursuant to paragraph (2) of subdivision (e), shall be financed by other state funds appropriated to the department for this purpose. Upon providing any intergovernmental transfer of funds, each transferring entity shall certify, in the form and manner specified by the department, that the transferred funds qualify for federal financial participation pursuant to applicable Medicaid laws. Any intergovernmental transfer of funds made pursuant to this section shall be considered voluntary for purposes of all federal laws. Notwithstanding any other law, the department shall not assess the fee described in subdivision (d) of Section 14301.4 nor any other similar fee.
(e)(1) The department shall consult with the affected counties on a periodic basis, as determined appropriate by the department, to assess the extent to which implementation of the directed payments under this section in a particular fiscal year is likely to be federally approved and remains financially and programmatically supportive of the Medi-Cal program.
(2) After consulting with the affected counties pursuant to paragraph (1), the department may do either of the following:
(A) Reduce the total size of CBRC DPP payments to be made in that applicable fiscal year. If the department elects to reduce the total size of payments, the amount of state funding required to be provided first as nonfederal share for an applicable fiscal year pursuant to subdivision (d) shall be reduced as calculated and determined by the department.
(B) Elect to not implement CBRC DPP payments for an applicable fiscal year or years.
(f) Notwithstanding any other law, for any fiscal year in which the department implements the CBRC DPP payments, the amount of state funding provided as described in subdivision (d) shall not be included in the total revenues as defined in paragraph (7) of subdivision (b) of Section 17612.5.
(g) Notwithstanding Chapter 3.5 (commencing with Section 11340) of Part 1 of Division 3 of Title 2 of the Government Code, the department may implement, interpret, or make specific this section, in whole or in part, by means of plan letters, provider bulletins, or other similar instructions, without taking regulatory action.
(h) This section shall be implemented only to the extent that any necessary federal approvals are obtained and federal financial participation is available and is not otherwise jeopardized.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - California Code, Health and Safety Code - HSC § 50104.6 - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/health-and-safety-code/hsc-sect-50104-6/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.