California Code, Health and Safety Code - HSC § 25359.4.5

(a) A responsible party who has entered into an agreement with the department and is in compliance with the terms of that agreement, or who is in compliance with an order issued by the department, may seek, in addition to contribution, treble damages from any contribution defendant who has failed or refused to comply with any order or agreement, was named in the order or agreement, and is subject to contribution.  A contribution defendant from whom treble damages are sought in a contribution action shall not be assessed treble damages by any court where the contribution defendant, for sufficient cause, as determined by the court, failed to comply with an agreement or with an order issued by the department, or where the contribution defendant is an owner of real property who did not generate, treat, transport, store, or dispose of the hazardous substance on, in, or at the facility located on that real property, as specified in Sections 101 (35) and 107 (b) of the federal act ( 42 U.S.C. Secs. 9601 (35) and 9607 (b) ), or where the principles of fundamental fairness would be violated, as determined by the court.  A party seeking treble damages pursuant to this section shall show that the party, the department, or another entity provided notice, by means of personal service or certified mail, of the order or agreement to the contribution defendant from whom the party seeks treble damages.

(b) One-half of any treble damages awarded pursuant to this section shall be paid to the department, for deposit in the state account.   Nothing in this subdivision affects the rights of any party to seek contribution pursuant to any other statute or under common law.

(c) A contribution defendant from whom treble damages are sought pursuant to this section shall be deemed to have acted willfully with respect to the conduct that gave rise to this liability for purposes of Section 533 of the Insurance Code .

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard