Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a)(1) Except as otherwise provided in subdivisions (b) to (f), inclusive, it is unlawful for any person to carry on, or engage in, the transportation of hazardous wastes unless the person holds a valid registration issued by the department, and it is unlawful for any person to transfer custody of a hazardous waste to a transporter who does not hold a valid registration issued by the department. A person who holds a valid registration issued by the department pursuant to this section is a registered hazardous waste transporter for purposes of this chapter.A registration issued by the department to a transporter of hazardous waste is not transferable from the person to whom it was issued to any other person.
(2) A person who transports hazardous waste in a vehicle shall have a valid registration issued by the department in the person's possession while transporting the hazardous waste. The registration certificate shall be shown upon demand to any representative of the department, officer of the Department of the California Highway Patrol, any local health officer, or any public officer designated by the department.A person registered pursuant to this section may obtain additional copies of the registration certificate from the department upon the payment of a fee of two dollars ($2) for each copy requested, in accordance with Section 12196 of the Government Code.
(3) The hazardous waste information required and collected for registration pursuant to this subdivision shall be recorded and maintained in the management information system operated by the Department of the California Highway Patrol.
(b) A person transporting only septic tank, cesspool, seepage pit, or chemical toilet waste that does not contain a hazardous waste originating from other than the body of a human or animal and who holds an unrevoked registration issued by the health officer or the health officer's authorized representative pursuant to Article 1 (commencing with Section 117400) of Chapter 4 of Part 13 of Division 104 is exempt from the requirements of subdivision (a).
(c) Except as provided in subdivision (f), persons transporting hazardous wastes to a permitted hazardous waste facility for transfer, treatment, recycling, or disposal, which wastes do not exceed a total volume of five gallons or do not exceed a total weight of 50 pounds, are exempt from the requirements of subdivision (a) and from the requirements of Section 25160 concerning possession of the manifest while transporting hazardous waste, upon meeting all of the following conditions:
(1) The hazardous wastes are transported in closed containers and packed in a manner that prevents the containers from tipping, spilling, or breaking during the transporting.
(2) Different hazardous waste materials are not mixed within a container during the transporting.
(3) If the hazardous waste is extremely hazardous waste or acutely hazardous waste, the extremely hazardous waste or acutely hazardous waste was not generated in the course of any business, and is not more than 2.2 pounds.
(4) The person transporting the hazardous waste is the producer of that hazardous waste, and the person produces not more than 100 kilograms of hazardous waste in any month.
(5) The person transporting the hazardous waste does not accumulate more than a total of 1,000 kilograms of hazardous waste onsite at any one time.
(d) A person registered as a hazardous waste transporter pursuant to subdivision (a) is not subject to the registration requirements of Chapter 6 (commencing with Section 25000), but shall comply with those terms, conditions, orders, and directions that the health officer or the health officer's authorized representative may determine to be necessary for the protection of human health and comfort, and shall otherwise comply with the requirements for statements as provided in Section 25007. Violations of those requirements of Section 25007 shall be punished as provided in Section 25010. Proof of registration pursuant to subdivision (a) shall be submitted by mail or in person to the local health officer in the city or county in which the registered hazardous waste transporter will be conducting the activities described in Section 25001.
(e) A person authorized to collect solid waste, as defined in Section 40191 of the Public Resources Code, who unknowingly transports hazardous waste to a solid waste facility, as defined in Section 40194 of the Public Resources Code, incidental to the collection of solid waste is not subject to subdivision (a).
(f) A person transporting household hazardous waste or a very small quantity generator transporting hazardous waste to an authorized household hazardous waste collection facility pursuant to Section 25218.5 is exempt from subdivision (a) and from paragraph (1) of subdivision (d) of Section 25160 requiring possession of the manifest while transporting hazardous waste.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - California Code, Health and Safety Code - HSC § 25163 - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/health-and-safety-code/hsc-sect-25163/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.