Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) A permanent food facility shall provide clean toilet facilities in good repair for use by employees.
(b)(1) A permanent food facility shall provide clean toilet facilities in good repair for consumers, guests, or invitees when there is onsite consumption of foods or when the food facility was constructed after July 1, 1984, and has more than 20,000 square feet of floor space.
(2) Notwithstanding Section 113984.1, toilet facilities that are provided for use by consumers, guests, or invitees shall be in a location where consumers, guests, and invitees do not pass through food preparation, food storage, or utensil washing areas to reach the toilet facilities.
(3) For purposes of this section, a building subject to paragraph (1) that has a food facility with more than 20,000 square feet of floor space shall provide at least one separate toilet facility for men and one separate toilet facility for women.
(4) For purposes of this section, the gas pump area of a service station that is maintained in conjunction with a food facility shall not be considered as property used in connection with the food facility or be considered in determining the square footage of floor space of the food facility.
(c)(1) Toilet rooms shall be separated by well-fitted, self-closing doors that prevent the passage of flies, dust, or odors.
(2) Toilet room doors shall be kept closed except during cleaning and maintenance operations.
(d) Handwashing facilities, in good repair, shall be provided as specified in Sections 113953 and 113953.3.
(e) A city, county, or city and county may enact ordinances that are more restrictive than this section.
(f)(1) Except as provided in paragraph (1) of subdivision (b), a food facility that was constructed before January 1, 2004, that has been in continuous operation since January 1, 2004, and that provides space for the consumption of food on the premises shall either provide clean toilet facilities in good repair for consumers, guests, or invitees on property used in connection with, or in, the food facility or prominently post a sign within the food facility in a public area stating that toilet facilities are not provided.
(2) The first violation of paragraph (1) shall result in a warning. Subsequent violations shall constitute an infraction punishable by a fine of not more than two hundred fifty dollars ($250).
(3) The requirements of this section for toilet facilities that are accessible to consumers, guests, or invitees on the property may be satisfied by permitting access by those persons to the toilet and handwashing facilities that are required by this part.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - California Code, Health and Safety Code - HSC § 114276 - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/health-and-safety-code/hsc-sect-114276/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.