Skip to main content

California Code, Health and Safety Code - HSC § 111175

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

In addition to the requirements of Section 111170, if a bottler, distributor, water hauler, retail water facility operator, or vending machine operator provides information in the labeling or advertising stating or implying that this water is of a specific water type (for example, “spring water”) or treated in a specific manner (for example, “purified”), the type or treatment shall be clearly labeled in an easily readable format. In order to be so labeled, the source or treatment shall conform to the definitions established in Section 165.110 of Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations, or, if not defined in that section, with the following criteria:

(1) “Mineralized water” means bottled or vended water that meets the requirements of “mineral water” except that the water contains added minerals.

(2) “Natural water” means bottled or vended spring, artesian well, or well water that is unmodified by mineral addition or deletion, except “natural water” may be filtered and shall be sanitized with ozone or an equivalent disinfection process and treated to reduce the concentration of any substance that exceeds safety standards established by the department.

(3) “Naturally sparkling water” means bottled water or vended water with a carbon dioxide content from the same source as the water. “Sparkling,” “carbonated,” or “carbonation added” means bottled water or vended water that contains carbon dioxide.

(4) Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, water from a public water system that is unprocessed by the bottler or vendor shall be in compliance with Section 165.110(a)(3)(ii) of Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations.

Cite this article: - California Code, Health and Safety Code - HSC § 111175 - last updated January 01, 2019 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard