Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (b), it is unlawful for a manufacturer, wholesaler, reseller, retailer, or other person or entity to sell to any customer any quantity of nonodorized butane.
(b) The limitations in subdivisions (a) shall not apply to any of the following transactions:
(1) Butane sold to manufacturers, wholesalers, resellers, or retailers solely for the purpose of resale.
(2) Butane sold to a person for use in a lawful commercial enterprise, including, but not limited to, a volatile solvent extraction activity licensed under Division 10 (commencing with Section 26000) of the Business and Professions Code or a medical cannabis collective or cooperative described in subdivision (b) of Section 11362.775 of this code, operating in compliance with all applicable state licensing requirements and local regulations governing that type of business.
(3) The sale of pocket lighters, utility lighters, grill lighters, torch lighters, butane gas appliances, refill canisters, gas cartridges, or other products that contain or use nonodorized butane and contain less than 150 milliliters of butane.
(4) The sale of any product in which butane is used as an aerosol propellant.
(c)(1) Any person or business that violates subdivision (a) is subject to a civil penalty of two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500).
(2) The Attorney General, a city attorney, a county counsel, or a district attorney may bring a civil action to enforce this section.
(3) The civil penalty shall be deposited into the General Fund if the action is brought by the Attorney General. If the action is brought by a city attorney, the civil penalty shall be paid to the treasurer of the city in which the judgment is entered. If the action is brought by a county counsel or district attorney, the civil penalty shall be paid to the treasurer of the county in which the judgment is entered.
(d) As used in this section, the following definitions shall apply:
(1) “Customer” means any person or entity other than those described in paragraphs (1) and (2) of subdivision (b) that purchases or acquires nonodorized butane from a seller during a transaction.
(2) “Nonodorized butane” means iso-butane, n-butane, butane, or a mixture of butane and propane of any power that may also use the words “refined,” “pure,” “purified,” “premium,” or “filtered,” to describe the butane or butane mixture, which does not contain ethyl mercaptan or a similar odorant.
(3) “Sell” or “sale” means to furnish, give away, exchange, transfer, deliver, surrender, distribute, or supply, in exchange for money or any other consideration.
(4) “Seller” means any person, business entity, or employee thereof that sells nonodorized butane to any customer within this state.
(e) This section shall become operative on July 1, 2019.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - California Code, Health and Safety Code - HSC § 11107.2 - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/health-and-safety-code/hsc-sect-11107-2/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.