California Code, Fish and Game Code - FGC § 7073
Search California Codes
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) On or before September 1, 2001, the department shall submit to the commission for its approval a master plan that specifies the process and the resources needed to prepare, adopt, and implement fishery management plans for sport and commercial marine fisheries managed by the state. Consistent with Section 7059, the master plan shall be prepared with the advice, assistance, and involvement of participants in the various fisheries and their representatives, marine conservationists, marine scientists, and other interested persons.
(b) The master plan shall include all of the following:
(1) A list identifying the fisheries managed by the state, with individual fisheries assigned to fishery management plans as determined by the department according to conservation and management needs and consistent with subdivision (f) of Section 7056.
(2) A priority list for preparation of fishery management plans. Highest priority shall be given to fisheries that the department determines have the greatest need for changes in conservation and management measures in order to comply with the policies and requirements set forth in this part. Fisheries for which the department determines that current management complies with the policies and requirements of this part shall be given the lowest priority.
(3) A description of the research, monitoring, and data collection activities that the department conducts for marine fisheries and of any additional activities that might be needed for the department to acquire essential fishery information, with emphasis on the higher priority fisheries identified pursuant to paragraph (2).
(4) A process consistent with Section 7059 that ensures the opportunity for meaningful involvement in the development of fishery management plans and research plans by fishery participants and their representatives, marine scientists, and other interested parties.
(5) A process for periodic review and amendment of the master plan.
(c) The commission shall adopt or reject the master plan or master plan amendment, in whole or in part, after a public hearing. If the commission rejects a part of the master plan or master plan amendment, the commission shall return that part to the department for revision and resubmission pursuant to the revision and resubmission procedures for fishery management plans as described in subdivision (a) of Section 7075.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - California Code, Fish and Game Code - FGC § 7073 - last updated January 01, 2023 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/fish-and-game-code/fgc-sect-7073/
Was this helpful?