Skip to main content

California Code, Financial Code - FIN § 22712

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) Whenever, in the opinion of the commissioner, any person is engaged or has engaged in business as a finance lender, broker, program administrator, or mortgage loan originator, as defined in this division, without a license from the commissioner, or any licensee is violating or has violated any provision of this division, any provision of an order, or any regulation adopted pursuant to this division, the commissioner may order that person or licensee to desist and to refrain from engaging in the business or further continuing that violation. In addition, the commissioner may include a claim for ancillary relief. The ancillary relief may include, but not be limited to, refunds, restitution or disgorgement, or damages on behalf of the persons injured by the act or practice constituting the subject matter of the action. If, within 30 days after the order is served, a written request for a hearing is filed and no hearing is held within 30 days thereafter, the order is rescinded. For purposes of this section, “licensee” includes a mortgage loan originator.

(b) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), if, after an investigation, the commissioner has reasonable grounds to believe that a person is conducting or has conducted business in an unsafe or injurious manner, the commissioner shall, by written order addressed to that person, direct the discontinuance of the unsafe or injurious practices. The order shall be effective immediately, but shall not become final except in accordance with the provisions of Section 22717.

Cite this article: - California Code, Financial Code - FIN § 22712 - last updated January 01, 2023 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard