California Code, Financial Code - FIN § 22341
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search California Codes
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) No licensee may make a loan to refinance a retail installment contract subject to Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 1801) of Title 2 of Part 4 of Division 3 of the Civil Code, that is held by the licensee, its subsidiaries, or affiliates, unless all of the following conditions are met:
(1) The buyer has been making installment payments required by the retail installment contract for a period of not less than 90 days. The retail installment contract has a term of not less than 180 days and does not provide for any scheduled installment that is more than twice the amount of any other scheduled installment.
(2) The loan provides for additional proceeds other than for insurance in an amount not less than the outstanding principal balance of the retail installment contract and provides for payment in full of the retail installment contract.
(3) The licensee shall not take a security interest in real property that is the principal residence of the borrower unless the loan has a principal amount of five thousand dollars ($5,000) or more and the following notice written in the same language, for example, Spanish, as used in the loan documents, is incorporated into the statement used to comply with Section 22338:
“WARNING TO BORROWER: IF YOU ACCEPT THIS LOAN YOU WILL BE PUTTING UP YOUR HOME AS SECURITY. THIS MEANS THAT YOUR HOME COULD BE SOLD WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION AND WITHOUT ANY COURT ACTION IF YOU MISS ANY PAYMENT AS REQUIRED BY THIS LOAN.”
This notice shall be printed in not less than 14-point bold type, shall be set apart from the rest of the statement by a border, and shall appear directly above a signature block which shall be signed by the borrower. A security interest described in this paragraph that is taken without prior notice and the borrower's signature, as required by this paragraph, shall be void and unenforceable.
(4) The licensee shall not sell, attempt to sell, or agree to sell any goods or services to the borrower, other than credit insurance as defined in Section 22314 and insurance required by the licensee to protect its security interest, until the loan has been in effect for at least 30 days. The amount of insurance required by the licensee to protect its security interest shall not exceed the lesser of the principal amount of the loan or the replacement value of the security as determined by the insurer.
(5) A licensee that is an assignee of the retail installment contract shall continue to be subject under the loan to all equities and defenses of the borrower against the seller arising out of the sale, notwithstanding an agreement to the contrary.
(6) The loan shall not provide for any scheduled installment that is more than twice the amount of any other scheduled installment. This paragraph does not apply to a loan of a bona fide principal amount of ten thousand dollars ($10,000) or more.
(7) If a loan of a bona fide principal amount of ten thousand dollars ($10,000) or more provides for any scheduled installment that is more than twice the amount of any other scheduled installment, the loan shall contain the following provision:
“The payment schedule contained in this loan requires that you make a balloon payment of $__________ (amount of balloon payment) which is a payment of more than double the amount of the regular payments. You have an absolute right to obtain a new payment schedule if you default in the payment of any balloon payment.”
If the borrower defaults in the payment of any balloon payment, the borrower shall be given an absolute right to obtain a new payment schedule. Unless agreed to by the borrower, the installment amounts under the new schedule shall not be substantially greater than the average of the preceding installments.
(b) A loan made pursuant to this section shall be subject to this division and not to Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 1801) of Title 2 of Part 4 of Division 3 of the Civil Code.
(c) An action by any licensee or borrower on a loan made pursuant to this section shall be tried in the county in which the loan was signed by the borrower, in the county in which the borrower resided at the time the loan was entered into, or in the county in which the borrower resides at the commencement of the action.
(d) Paragraphs (6) and (7) of subdivision (a) do not apply to open-end loans.
(e) A security interest provided by any retail installment contract in violation of subdivision (b) of Section 1804.3 of the Civil Code shall not serve as consideration in whole or in part for a loan made under this section, notwithstanding any agreement to the contrary.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - California Code, Financial Code - FIN § 22341 - last updated January 01, 2023 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/financial-code/fin-sect-22341/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?