California Code, Financial Code - FIN § 1415
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search California Codes
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) For purposes of this section, the following definitions apply:
(1) “Nonqualifying account” means a deposit account, other than a demand deposit account, that is not a qualifying account.
(2) “Qualifying account” means a deposit account, other than a demand deposit account, through which a bank's depositors may obtain chances to win prizes in a savings promotion.
(3) “Savings promotion” means a contest or promotion to encourage savings deposits that is sponsored by one or more banks, or by a banking trade association or its subsidiary in conjunction with one or more banks, and in which bank depositors are offered a chance to win designated prizes.
(b) A bank may sponsor or participate in a savings promotion if all of the following requirements are satisfied:
(1) Bank depositors are not required to pay any fee or otherwise provide any consideration in order to enter the savings promotion.
(2) All material terms of, and fees charged by a bank in connection with, a qualifying account are comparable to those of comparable nonqualifying accounts offered by the bank.
(3) Each entry in the savings promotion has an equal chance of winning.
(4) Participants in the savings promotion are not required to be present at a prize drawing in order to win.
(c) For purposes of this section, a depositor's deposit of at least a specified amount of money in a qualifying account, which is required in order to enter the savings promotion, is not consideration if the interest rate associated with the qualifying account is not reduced, as compared to comparable nonqualifying accounts offered by the bank, to account for the possibility of winning a prize.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - California Code, Financial Code - FIN § 1415 - last updated January 01, 2023 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/financial-code/fin-sect-1415/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?