Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) A person who has sexual intercourse or causes conception with the intent to become a legal parent by assisted reproduction in this state, or who enters into an assisted reproduction agreement for gestational carriers in this state, thereby submits to the jurisdiction of the courts of this state as to an action brought under this part with respect to a child who may have been conceived by that act of intercourse or assisted reproduction, or who may have been conceived as a result of that assisted reproduction agreement.
(b) If a child is conceived pursuant to an assisted reproduction agreement for gestational carriers, as defined in Section 7960 and as described in Section 7962, the courts of this state shall have jurisdiction over a proceeding to determine parentage of the child if any of the following conditions is satisfied:
(1) One or more of the parties to the assisted reproduction agreement for gestational carriers resides in this state, or resided in this state at the time the assisted reproduction agreement for gestational carriers was executed.
(2) The medical procedures leading to conception, including in vitro fertilization or embryo transfer, or both, were carried out in this state.
(3) The child is born in this state.
(c) An action under this part shall be brought in one of the following:
(1) The county in which the child resides or is found.
(2) If the child is the subject of a pending or proposed adoption, any county in which a licensed California adoption agency to which the child has been relinquished or is proposed to be relinquished maintains an office.
(3) If the child is the subject of a pending or proposed adoption, the county in which an office of the department or a public adoption agency investigating the petition is located.
(4) If the parent is deceased, the county in which proceedings for probate of the estate of the parent of the child have been or could be commenced.
(5) If the child was conceived pursuant to an assisted reproduction agreement for gestational carriers, any county described in subdivision (e) of Section 7962.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - California Code, Family Code - FAM § 7620 - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/family-code/fam-sect-7620/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.