Skip to main content

California Code, Corporations Code - CORP § 16703

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) A partner's dissociation does not of itself discharge the partner's liability for a partnership obligation incurred before dissociation.  A dissociated partner is not liable for a partnership obligation incurred after dissociation, except as otherwise provided in subdivision (b).

(b) Except for registered limited liability partnerships and foreign limited liability partnerships, a partner who dissociates is liable as a partner to the other party in a transaction entered into by the partnership, or a surviving partnership under Article 9 (commencing with Section 16901), within two years after the partner's dissociation, only if at the time of entering into the transaction all of the following apply to the other party:

(1) The other party reasonably believed that the dissociated partner was then a partner.

(2) The other party did not have notice of the partner's dissociation.

(3) The other party is not deemed to have had knowledge under subdivision (e) of Section 16303 or notice under subdivision (c) of Section 16704.

(c) By agreement with the partnership creditor and the partners continuing the business, a dissociated partner may be released from liability for a partnership obligation.

(d) A dissociated partner is released from liability for a partnership obligation if a partnership creditor, with notice of the partner's dissociation but without the partner's consent, agrees to a material alteration in the nature or time of payment of a partnership obligation.

Cite this article: - California Code, Corporations Code - CORP § 16703 - last updated January 01, 2019 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard