Skip to main content

California Code, Business and Professions Code - BPC § 5107

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) The executive officer of the board may request the administrative law judge, as part of the proposed decision in a disciplinary proceeding, to direct any holder of a permit or certificate found to have committed a violation or violations of this chapter to pay to the board all reasonable costs of investigation and prosecution of the case, including, but not limited to, attorney's fees. The board shall not recover costs incurred at the administrative hearing.

(b) A certified copy of the actual costs, or a good faith estimate of costs where actual costs are not available, signed by the executive officer, shall be prima facie evidence of reasonable costs of investigation and prosecution of the case.

(c) The administrative law judge shall make a proposed finding of the amount of reasonable costs of investigation and prosecution of the case when requested to do so by the executive officer pursuant to subdivision (a). Costs are payable 120 days after the board's decision is final, unless otherwise provided for by the administrative law judge or if the time for payment is extended by the board.

(d) The finding of the administrative law judge with regard to cost shall not be reviewable by the board to increase the cost award. The board may reduce or eliminate the cost award, or remand to the administrative law judge where the proposed decision fails to make a finding on costs requested by the executive officer pursuant to subdivision (a).

(e) The administrative law judge may make a further finding that the amount of reasonable costs awarded shall be reduced or eliminated upon a finding that respondent has demonstrated that he or she cannot pay all or a portion of the costs or that payment of the costs would cause an unreasonable financial hardship which cannot be remedied through a payment plan.

(f) When an administrative law judge makes a finding that costs be waived or reduced, he or she shall set forth the factual basis for his or her finding in the proposed decision.

(g) Where an order for recovery of costs is made and timely payment is not made as directed by the board's decision, the board may enforce the order for payment in any appropriate court. This right of enforcement shall be in addition to any other rights the board may have as to any holder of a permit or certificate directed to pay costs.

(h) In a judicial action for the recovery of costs, proof of the board's decision shall be conclusive proof of the validity of the order of payment and the terms of payment.

(i) All costs recovered under this section shall be deposited in the Accountancy Fund.

(j)(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), the board shall not renew or reinstate the permit or certificate of a holder who has failed to pay all of the costs ordered under this section.

(2) Notwithstanding paragraph (1) or paragraph (2) of subdivision (g) of Section 125.3, the board may, in its discretion, conditionally renew or reinstate for a maximum of three years the permit or certificate of a holder who demonstrates financial hardship and who enters into a formal agreement with the board to reimburse the board within that three-year period for those unpaid costs.

(k) Nothing in this section shall preclude the board from seeking recovery of costs in an order or decision made pursuant to an agreement entered into between the board and the holder of a permit or certificate.

(l)(1) Costs may not be recovered under this section as a result of a citation issued pursuant to Section 125.9 and its implementing language if the licensee complies with the citation.

(2) The Legislature hereby finds and declares that this subdivision is declaratory of existing law.

Cite this article: - California Code, Business and Professions Code - BPC § 5107 - last updated January 01, 2019 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard