(a) A pharmacy that issues a recall notice regarding a nonsterile compounded drug
product shall, in addition to any other duties, contact the recipient pharmacy, prescriber,
or patient of the recalled drug and the board within 12 hours of the recall notice
if both of the following apply:
(1) Use of or exposure to the recalled drug may cause serious adverse health consequences
(2) The recalled drug was dispensed, or is intended for use, in this state.
(b) A recall notice issued pursuant to subdivision (a) shall be made as follows:
(1) If the recalled drug was dispensed directly to the patient, the notice shall be
made to the patient.
(2) If the recalled drug was dispensed directly to the prescriber, the notice shall
be made to the prescriber, who shall ensure the patient is notified.
(3) If the recalled drug was dispensed directly to a pharmacy, the notice shall be
made to the pharmacy, which shall notify the prescriber or patient, as appropriate. If the pharmacy notifies the prescriber, the prescriber shall ensure the patient
(c) A pharmacy that has been advised that a patient has been harmed by using a nonsterile
compounded product potentially attributable to the pharmacy shall report the event
to MedWatch within 72 hours of the pharmacy being advised.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes
A free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.