Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) Law enforcement officers are authorized to perform inspections at commercial optical disc manufacturing facilities to verify compliance with the provisions of this chapter. Any inspection shall be conducted by officers whose primary responsibilities include investigation of high-technology crime or intellectual property piracy. Inspections shall take place during regular business hours and shall be limited to the areas of the premises where manufacturing equipment is located and where optical discs and production parts are manufactured and stored. The scope of the inspection shall be restricted to the physical review of items and collection of information necessary to verify compliance with the provisions of this chapter. Officers performing inspections may do so without providing prior notice or obtaining a warrant, and shall have the authority to do all of the following:
(1) Take an inventory of all manufacturing equipment, including the identification mark or unique identifying code that any piece of equipment has been modified to apply.
(2) Review any optical disc, manufacturing equipment, optical disc mold, or production part.
(3) Review any record, book, or document maintained under Section 21807, kept in any format, electronic or otherwise, relating to the business concerned.
(4) Inspect, remove, and detain for the purpose of examination for as long as reasonably necessary any optical disc, production part, or record, book, or document maintained under Section 21807.
(5) Seize any optical disc or production part manufactured in violation of this chapter.
(6) Obtain and remove four samples each of the optical discs molded by each mold that has been used or could be used to manufacture optical discs.
(b) No person shall evade, obstruct, or refuse any inspection requested or being carried out by a law enforcement officer to determine compliance with this chapter. The manufacturer, and the employees, servants, or agents of the manufacturer, shall cooperate during the course of the inspection by promptly doing all of the following:
(1) Providing and explaining any record, book, or document required to be maintained pursuant to Section 21807.
(2) Pointing out and providing access to all optical discs, manufacturing equipment, optical disc molds, and production parts and demonstrating to the satisfaction of the officer that they include or have been adapted to apply the required identification mark or unique identifying code.
(3) Providing and permanently surrendering four samples each of the optical discs molded by each mold that has been used or could be used to manufacture optical discs.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - California Code, Business and Professions Code - BPC § 21803 - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/business-and-professions-code/bpc-sect-21803/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.