Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) A registered dental assistant in extended functions licensed on or after January 1, 2010, is authorized to perform all duties and procedures that a registered dental assistant is authorized to perform as specified in and limited by Section 1752.4, and those duties that the board may prescribe by regulation.
(b) A registered dental assistant in extended functions licensed on or after January 1, 2010, is authorized to perform the following additional procedures under direct supervision and pursuant to the order, control, and full professional responsibility of a licensed dentist:
(1) Conduct preliminary evaluation of the patient's oral health, including, but not limited to, charting, intraoral and extra-oral evaluation of soft tissue, classifying occlusion, and myofunctional evaluation.
(2) Perform oral health assessments in school-based, community health project settings under the direction of a dentist, registered dental hygienist, or registered dental hygienist in alternative practice.
(3) Cord retraction of gingiva for impression procedures.
(4) Size and fit endodontic master points and accessory points.
(5) Cement endodontic master points and accessory points.
(6) Take final impressions for permanent indirect restorations.
(7) Take final impressions for tooth-borne removable prosthesis.
(8) Polish and contour existing amalgam restorations.
(9) Place, contour, finish, and adjust all direct restorations.
(10) Adjust and cement permanent indirect restorations.
(11) Other procedures authorized by regulations adopted by the board.
(c) All procedures required to be performed under direct supervision shall be checked and approved by the supervising licensed dentist prior to the patient's dismissal from the office.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - California Code, Business and Professions Code - BPC § 1753.5 - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/business-and-professions-code/bpc-sect-1753-5/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?