Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) In addition to any other requirements for issuance of a license pursuant to this chapter, if the applicant is a recycler or junk dealer as defined in Section 21601, the department shall require the applicant to furnish all of the following information accurately on any application for a new license or the renewal of a license issued pursuant to this chapter:
(1) A copy of the applicant's current business license.
(2) A statement indicating that the applicant has either filed an application for a stormwater permit or is not required to obtain a stormwater permit.
(3) A statement indicating that the applicant has the equipment necessary to comply with the photographic and thumbprinting requirements for the purchase and sale of nonferrous materials pursuant to Section 21608.5 or a statement indicating that the applicant will not be purchasing or selling nonferrous materials and is not required to comply with Section 21608.5.
(4) A statement indicating that the applicant has requested to receive theft alert notifications pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 21608.7, unless that requirement does not apply pursuant to subdivision (b) of that section.
(5) The name or names of any deputy weighmasters.
(b) The department shall issue a license to a junk dealer or recycler upon receipt of an application for a new license or renewal of a license that contains the information required by subdivision (a) and that is accompanied by the appropriate fee.
(c)(1) The department shall make a thorough investigation of all the information contained in the application required by subdivision (a) within 90 days for a new license, and within one calendar year for a renewal of a license.
(2) Notwithstanding Section 12708, if the department determines that the information submitted pursuant to subdivision (a) is materially inaccurate, the department shall revoke the license issued to a junk dealer or recycler unless the junk dealer or recycler complies with the requirements of subdivision (a) within 14 days of notice from the department of a proposed revocation pursuant to this subdivision.
(3) A junk dealer or recycler whose license has been revoked pursuant to this subdivision is entitled to a hearing conducted pursuant to Chapter 5 (commencing with Section 11500) of Part 1 of Division 3 of Title 2 of the Government Code.
(d) The secretary may enter into a cooperative agreement with any county sealer to carry out the provisions of this section.
(e) This section shall not apply to a pawnbroker licensed pursuant to Chapter 3 (commencing with Section 21300) of Division 8 of the Financial Code and a secondhand dealer licensed pursuant to Article 4 (commencing with Section 21625) of Chapter 9 of Division 8.
(f) This section shall remain in effect only until January 1, 2024, and as of that date is repealed, unless a later enacted statute, that is enacted before January 1, 2024, deletes or extends that date.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - California Code, Business and Professions Code - BPC § 12703.1 - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/business-and-professions-code/bpc-sect-12703-1/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?