Arizona Revised Statutes Title 28. Transportation § 28-4001. Definitions
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Arizona Revised Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
In this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. “Judgment” means a judgment that has become final by expiration without appeal of the time within which an appeal might have been perfected or by final affirmation on appeal and that is rendered by a court of competent jurisdiction of any state or of the United States on a cause of action either:
(a) Arising out of the ownership, maintenance or use of a motor vehicle for damages, including damages for care and loss of services, because of either bodily injury to or death of a person or injury to or destruction of property, including the loss of use of the property.
(b) On an agreement of settlement for damages described in subdivision (a) of this paragraph.
2. “License” means a license, temporary instruction permit or temporary license issued under the laws of this state pertaining to the licensing of persons to operate motor vehicles.
3. “Motor vehicle” means a self-propelled vehicle that is registered or required to be registered under the laws of this state.
4. “Motor vehicle liability policy” means an owner's or an operator's policy of liability insurance that is both:
(b) Issued by an insurance carrier duly authorized to transact business in this state, to or for the benefit of the person named as the insured, except as otherwise provided in § 28-4078.
5. “Nonresident operating privilege” means the privilege conferred on a nonresident by the laws of this state pertaining to the nonresident's operation of a motor vehicle or the use of a motor vehicle owned by the nonresident in this state.
6. “Operator” means a person who is in actual physical control of a motor vehicle, whether or not the person has a license.
7. “Proof of financial responsibility” means proof of ability to respond in damages for liability on account of accidents occurring after the effective date of the proof and arising out of the ownership, maintenance or use of a motor vehicle, in the amounts required by § 28-4009 or 28-4033.
8. “Registration” means the registration certificate or certificates and license plates issued under the laws of this state pertaining to the registration of motor vehicles.
9. “State” means a state, territory or possession of the United States, the District of Columbia or a province of the Dominion of Canada.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Arizona Revised Statutes Title 28. Transportation § 28-4001. Definitions - last updated March 08, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/az/title-28-transportation/az-rev-st-sect-28-4001/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?