Arizona Revised Statutes Title 28. Transportation § 28-332. Department of transportation jurisdiction; duties
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Arizona Revised Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
A. The exclusive control and jurisdiction over state highways, state routes, state-owned airports and all state-owned transportation systems or modes are vested in the department of transportation.
B. The department shall:
1. Register motor vehicles and aircraft, license drivers, collect revenues, enforce motor vehicle and aviation statutes and perform related functions.
2. Do multimodal state transportation planning, cooperate and coordinate transportation planning with local governments and establish an annually updated priority program of capital improvements for all transportation modes.
3. Design and construct transportation facilities in accordance with a priority plan and maintain and operate state highways, state-owned airports and state public transportation systems.
4. Investigate new transportation systems and cooperate with and advise local governments concerning the development and operation of public transit systems.
5. Have administrative jurisdiction of transportation safety programs and implement them in accordance with applicable law.
6. Except as provided in § 28-472, subsection F, operate a state motor vehicle fleet for all motor vehicles that are owned, leased or rented by this state.
C. In order to carry out the responsibilities enumerated in subsection B of this section, the department is organized into the following divisions:
1. Motor vehicle.
2. Transportation planning.
5. Public transit.
6. Administrative services.
D. The director may do any of the following:
1. Establish divisions in addition to those prescribed in subsection C of this section.
2. Reorganize the department.
3. Consolidate the department.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Arizona Revised Statutes Title 28. Transportation § 28-332. Department of transportation jurisdiction; duties - last updated March 08, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/az/title-28-transportation/az-rev-st-sect-28-332/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?