Arizona Revised Statutes Title 20. Insurance § 20-861. Definitions
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Arizona Revised Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
In this article, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. “Association or order” means any association or order that is a nonprofit military mutual aid association, whose members are officers or enlisted, regular or reserve, active, retired or honorably discharged members of the armed forces or sea services of the United States, and whose principal purpose is to provide life insurance and annuities to its members and their dependents or beneficiaries.
2. “Benefit contract” means an agreement for the provision of benefits.
3. “Benefit member” means an adult who is a member of a fraternal benefit society and who is designated by the laws or rules of the society to be a benefit member under a benefit contract.
4. “Certificate” means a document that is issued as written evidence of the benefit contract.
5. “Fraternal benefit society” means a society, order or supreme lodge without capital stock, including an incorporated or unincorporated society that is exempt under § 20-893, that is conducted solely for the benefit of its members and their beneficiaries, is not for profit, operates on a lodge system with a ritualistic form of work, has a representative form of government and provides benefits according to this article.
6. “Laws” means the articles of incorporation, constitution and bylaws of the society.
7. “Lodge” means a subordinate member of the society, including any camp, court, council, branch or other designated unit.
8. “Premiums” means rates, dues or other required contributions that are payable under the certificate.
9. “Rules” means the rules, regulations and resolutions that are adopted by the supreme governing body or board of directors and that are intended to apply to the members of the society.
10. “Society” means a fraternal benefit society.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Arizona Revised Statutes Title 20. Insurance § 20-861. Definitions - last updated March 08, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/az/title-20-insurance/az-rev-st-sect-20-861/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?