Arizona Revised Statutes Title 20. Insurance § 20-401.01. Unlawful transaction of insurance business; exemptions
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Arizona Revised Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
A. It is unlawful for any insurer to transact insurance business, as provided by § 20-106, in this state without a certificate of authority from the director.
B. The provisions of subsection A of this section do not apply to:
1. The lawful transaction of surplus lines insurance.
2. The lawful transaction of reinsurance by insurers.
3. Transactions in this state involving a policy lawfully solicited, written and delivered outside of this state covering only subjects of insurance not resident, located or expressly to be performed in this state at the time of issuance, and which transactions are subsequent to the issuance of such policy.
4. Attorneys acting in the ordinary relation of attorney and client in the adjustment of claims or losses.
5. Transactions in this state involving group annuities where the master policy of such groups was lawfully issued and delivered in and pursuant to the laws of a state in which the insurer was authorized to do an insurance business, to a group organized for purposes other than the procurement of insurance, and where the policyholder is domiciled or otherwise has a bona fide situs.
6. Transactions in this state involving any policy of insurance or annuity contract issued prior to August 13, 1972.
7. Transactions in this state relative to a policy issued or to be issued outside this state involving insurance on vessels, craft or hulls, cargoes, marine builder's risk, marine protection and indemnity or other risk, including strikes and war risks commonly insured under ocean or wet marine forms of policy.
8. Transactions in this state involving contracts of insurance not readily obtainable from insurers authorized to transact insurance in this state issued to one or more industrial insureds, as defined in § 20-401.07.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Arizona Revised Statutes Title 20. Insurance § 20-401.01. Unlawful transaction of insurance business; exemptions - last updated March 08, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/az/title-20-insurance/az-rev-st-sect-20-401-01/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?