Arizona Revised Statutes Title 13. Criminal Code § 13-1411. Bestiality; classification; definition
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Arizona Revised Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
A. A person commits bestiality by knowingly doing either of the following:
1. Engaging in oral sexual contact, sexual contact or sexual intercourse with an animal.
2. Causing another person to engage in oral sexual contact, sexual contact or sexual intercourse with an animal.
B. In addition to any other penalty imposed for a violation of subsection A of this section, the court may order that the convicted person do any of the following:
1. Undergo a psychological assessment and participate in appropriate counseling at the convicted person's own expense.
2. Reimburse an animal shelter as defined in § 11-1022 for any reasonable costs incurred for the care and maintenance of any animal that was taken to the animal shelter as a result of conduct proscribed by subsection A of this section.
C. This section does not apply to:
1. Accepted veterinary medical practices performed by a licensed veterinarian or veterinary technician.
2. Insemination of animals by the same species, bred for commercial purposes.
3. Accepted animal husbandry practices that provide necessary care for animals bred for commercial purposes.
D. Bestiality is a class 6 felony, except that bestiality pursuant to subsection A, paragraph 2 of this section is a class 3 felony punishable pursuant to § 13-705 if the other person is a minor under fifteen years of age.
E. For the purposes of this section, “animal” means a nonhuman mammal, bird, reptile or amphibian, either dead or alive.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Arizona Revised Statutes Title 13. Criminal Code § 13-1411. Bestiality; classification; definition - last updated March 08, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/az/title-13-criminal-code/az-rev-st-sect-13-1411/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?