Arkansas Code Title 12. Law Enforcement, Emergency Management, and Military Affairs § 12-12-1404. Training
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Arkansas Code
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) Each law enforcement agency shall provide annual training to all officers that:
(1) Emphasizes the prohibition against racial profiling;
(2) Ensures that operating procedures adequately implement the prohibition against racial profiling and that the law enforcement agency's law enforcement personnel have copies of, understand, and follow the operating procedures; and
(3) Includes foreign language instruction, if possible, to ensure adequate communication with residents of a community.
(b) The course or courses of instruction and the guidelines shall stress understanding and respect for racial, ethnic, national, religious, and cultural differences and development of effective and appropriate methods of carrying out law enforcement duties.
(c)(1) The Arkansas Commission on Law Enforcement Standards and Training shall adopt an initial training module concerning diversity and racial sensitivity for recruits and officers.
(2) The commission shall also adopt a training module for biennial recertification for all recruits and officers who have completed the initial training module.
(d)(1) The commission shall promulgate rules that set significant standards for all training required in this section.
(2) The commission may make additions, amendments, changes, or alterations to the rules in accordance with the Arkansas Administrative Procedure Act, § 25-15-201 et seq.
(3) The commission may review and recommend changes to the racial profiling policy of any law enforcement agency.
(4) Upon request, the racial profiling policy of any law enforcement agency shall be made available to the commission for the purpose described in subdivision (d)(3) of this section.
(5) The commission may establish a toll-free hotline and an email address to receive complaints concerning racial profiling.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Arkansas Code Title 12. Law Enforcement, Emergency Management, and Military Affairs § 12-12-1404. Training - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ar/title-12-law-enforcement-emergency-management-and-military-affairs/ar-code-sect-12-12-1404/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?