The following words and phrases used in this chapter, where not in conflict with the context, shall have the following meanings:
(1) BROKER. Any person not included in the term “motor carrier” and not a bona fide employee or agent of any such carrier, who or which, as principal or agent, sells or offers for sale any transportation of property other than that transported by common carriers of passengers, subject to this chapter, or negotiates for or holds itself out by solicitation, advertisement, or otherwise as one who sells, provides, furnishes, contracts, or arranges for the transportation.
(2) CERTIFICATE. A certificate of public convenience and necessity issued under this chapter to common carriers by motor vehicle.
(3) COMMON CARRIER BY MOTOR VEHICLE. Any person who or which undertakes, whether directly or by a lease or other arrangement, to transport passengers or property or any class or classes of property for the general public in the State of Alabama by motor vehicle for compensation, whether over regular or irregular routes or whether between fixed termini or not, including such other motor vehicle operations of carriers by rail or water or express and forwarding companies under this chapter.
(4) COMMISSIONER. One of the members of the commission.
(5) COMMISSION. The Alabama Public Service Commission.
(6) CONTRACT CARRIER BY MOTOR VEHICLE. Any person not included under subdivision (3), who or which under a special or individual contract or agreement, under special or individual contracts or special or individual agreements and whether directly or by lease or any other arrangement transports passengers or property by motor vehicle for compensation in this state.
(7) HIGHWAY. Every public highway, or place of whatever nature, open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicle travel in this state, including the public highways, roads, streets, and alleys in towns and cities.
(8) HOUSEHOLD GOODS CARRIER. A common carrier by motor vehicle which transports personal effects and property used or to be used in a dwelling as part of the equipment or supply of the dwelling.
(9) LICENSE. A license issued under this chapter to a broker.
(10) MOTOR CARRIER. Both a common carrier by motor vehicle and a contract carrier by motor vehicle.
(11) MOTOR VEHICLE. Any vehicle, machine, tractor, trailer, or semitrailer, propelled or drawn by mechanical power and used upon the highways in the transportation of passengers or property, but not including any vehicle, locomotive, or car operated exclusively on a rail or rails.
(12) PERMIT. A permit issued under this chapter to contract carriers by motor vehicle.
(13) PERSON. Any individual, firm, copartnership, corporation, company, association or joint stock association, including any trustee, receiver, assignee, or personal representative thereof.
(14) SERVICE and TRANSPORTATION. All vehicles operated by, for, or in the interest of any motor carrier irrespective of ownership or of contract, express or implied.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.