Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) The board may approve the issuance of a student permit to a student enrolled in and in good standing at an accredited college of veterinary medicine who has completed three years of study and is participating in an externship program as part of the college's educational curriculum.
(b) A student permit is valid for not longer than one year and may not extend beyond the student's graduation.
(c) A holder of a student permit is subject to the following limitations:
(1) assistance in diagnosis and surgery must be under the immediate supervision of a veterinarian licensed in this state;
(2) assistance in treatment must be under the direct or indirect supervision of a veterinarian licensed in this state;
(3) not more than one student permit holder at a time may be under the direct supervision of a veterinarian licensed in this state; and
(4) a veterinary practice may not retain more than two student permit holders at a time.
(d) The board shall establish requirements for student permits by regulation.
(e) A person holding a permit under this section is not subject to provisions of this chapter other than this section.
(f) In this section,
(1) “direct supervision” means the supervising veterinarian is on the premises where the animal is being treated and is quickly and easily available;
(2) “immediate supervision” means the supervising veterinarian is in the immediate area and within audible and visual range of the animal patient and the person treating the patient;
(3) “indirect supervision” means the supervising veterinarian does not need to be on the premises but has given either written or oral instructions for the treatment of the animal;
(4) “veterinary practice” means a business that provides veterinary services.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Alaska Statutes Title 8. Business and Professions § 08.98.188. Student permit - last updated April 21, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ak/title-8-business-and-professions/ak-st-sect-08-98-188/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.