Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) A person may not use broadcasting to promote or conduct a charitable gaming activity under this chapter except that a person may use
(1) broadcasting to promote a fish derby, a dog mushers' contest, a type of classic defined in AS 05.15.690, or a raffle and lottery; or
(2) the Internet or an Internet communication to promote a charitable gaming activity under this chapter.
(b) Notwithstanding (a) of this section, the department may authorize a noncommercial broadcasting station or network of stations to broadcast the conducting of an activity under this chapter on the station or network under a permit held by the station or network. The department may not authorize a station to broadcast the conducting of an activity for more than 12 hours in a calendar year. In this subsection, “noncommercial broadcasting station” means a radio or television station that is licensed by the Federal Communications Commission to a governmental entity or to an entity that is exempt from federal taxation under 26 U.S.C. 501(c)(3) (Internal Revenue Code).
(c) In this section,
(1) “broadcasting” includes television and radio transmission by 2,500 megahertz, microwave video and audio programming, slow-scan television programming, and programming by way of satellite, cable, teletype, or facsimile transmission and distribution methods;
(2) “Internet” means the combination of computer systems or networks that make up the international network for interactive communications services, including remote logins, file transfer, electronic mail, and newsgroups;
(3) “Internet communication” means an announcement or advertisement disseminated through the Internet.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Alaska Statutes Title 5. Amusements and Sports § 05.15.640. Restrictions on use of broadcasting - last updated April 21, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ak/title-5-amusements-and-sports/ak-st-sect-05-15-640/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.