Skip to main content

Alaska Statutes Title 47. Welfare, Social Services and Institutions § 47.20.390. Definitions

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

In AS 47.20.300--47.20.390,

(1) “commissioner” means the commissioner of health and social services;

(2) “department” means the Department of Health and Social Services;

(3) “follow-up care” means all of the following:

(A) services necessary to diagnose and confirm a hearing loss;

(B) ongoing audiological services to monitor hearing;

(C) communication services, including aural rehabilitation, speech, language, social, and psychological services;

(D) support services for the infant and family;  and

(E) early intervention services described in 20 U.S.C. 1431--1445 (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act), as amended;

(5) “hearing loss” means a hearing loss of 40 decibels or greater in the frequency region important for speech recognition and comprehension in one or both ears, approximately 500 through 4000 Hz;

(6) “hearing screening” means automated auditory brain stem response, otoacoustic emissions, or other appropriate screening procedure approved by the department;

(7) “infant” means a child 30 days to 24 months old;

(8) “newborn” means a child less than 30 days old;

(9) “parent” means a natural parent, stepparent, adoptive parent, legal guardian, or other legal custodian of the child;

(10) “program” means the newborn and infant hearing, tracking, and intervention screening program established under AS 47.20.310--47.20.390.

Cite this article: - Alaska Statutes Title 47. Welfare, Social Services and Institutions § 47.20.390. Definitions - last updated April 21, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard