Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) The legislature may appropriate from the following sources to the prevention account in the fund:
(1) the annual estimated balance of the account maintained under AS 37.05.142 for deposits into the general fund of the proceeds of the oil conservation surcharge levied by AS 43.55.300;
(2) money received from other state sources, from federal or other sources, or from a private donor;
(3) money recovered or otherwise received from parties responsible for the containment and cleanup of oil or a hazardous substance at a specific site, but excluding money
(A) from performance bonds and other forms of financial responsibility held in escrow pending satisfactory performance of a privately financed response action; and
(B) described in AS 46.08.025(a)(3);
(4) fines, penalties, or damages recovered under AS 46.08.005 - 46.08.080 or other law for costs incurred by the state as a result of the release or threatened release of oil or a hazardous substance; and
(5) the interest earned on the balance of the accounts maintained under AS 37.05.142 for deposits into the general fund from the proceeds of the surcharges levied under AS 43.55.201 and 43.55.300.
(b) Money received by the state under (a)(2) - (5) of this section shall be deposited in the general fund and credited to a special account called the “oil and hazardous substance release prevention mitigation account.” The legislature may annually appropriate to the prevention account in the fund from the prevention mitigation account a sum equal to the amount received under (a)(2) - (5) of this section during the calendar year preceding the legislative session in which the appropriations are to be made.
(c) The interest earned on the balances of each of the following accounts shall be deposited into the general fund and credited to the prevention account in the fund:
(1) the prevention account;
(2) the prevention mitigation account;
(3) the response account; and
(4) the response mitigation account.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Alaska Statutes Title 46. Water, Air, Energy, and Environmental Conservation § 46.08.020. Financing of the oil and hazardous substance release prevention account; prevention mitigation account - last updated April 21, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ak/title-46-water-air-energy-and-environmental-conservation/ak-st-sect-46-08-020/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.